July 30, 2008
Upgrading my technology.
The institution that requires a disproportionate amount of my mental energy between 7 and 3 M-F has declared one of my favorite sites on the entire Internet, Pandora.com, verboten. Flickr, Pandora, People.com - gone.
... fume ...
How to survive? 90.5 FM reception isn't bad from the compound. 90.5 - an eclectic variety of music about 50 minutes per hour and news top of the hour. Pretty perfect blend. Just needed to score a radio.
I went to a thrift store on N. High across the street from One World Bakery (most excellent vegetarian place) and got this radio for $5. It may be my best thrift store buy ever. I wouldn't part with this gem for anything (below $50).
• Good reception, it'll be excellent when I get my window office (Monday!!).
• Plush 70's orangebrowngreenish shag carpet covering the speaker.
• It gets really warm when it's on. I think it might be flammable!
• It has a vicious power knock when I turn it on. Perfect for those slow-start mornings.
• It has AFC! I think that stands for Awesome Fantastic Control.
• The case appears to be walnut and was made in Columbia (GE knew outsourcing was the future).
• Dual speaker. I don't know where the second one is.
• Perfect size pedestal for a pothos, the official plant of the American work camp.
This thing is so cool, I may someday forgive the reduction of privileges.