I just finished listening to Bourdain read his own book, Kitchen Confidential
. I read this years ago, but listening to it read by Bourdain was like having the wildman himself hanging around as your agitated friend for a few days. It was awesome. Today I listened to the next to the last chapter SO YOU WANT TO BE A CHEF? A COMMENCEMENT ADDRESS
. It is the advice I try to convey to my daughter on a daily basis. I know I don't live this completely, but a child gives you the feeling you have a second chance. These things I want her to live (except maybe
1. Be fully committed.
3. Don't steal.
4. Always be on time.
5. Never make excuses or blame others.
6. Never call in sick.
7. Lazy, sloppy and slow are bad.
8. Be prepared to witness every variety of human folly and injustice.
9. Assume the worst. About everybody. But don't let this poisoned outlook affect your job performance.
10. Try not to lie.
11. Avoid restaurants where the owner's name is over the door.
12. Think about that résumé!
14. Have a sense of humor about things. You'll need it.
Bourdain's my idol this week.
Hey Dave...you got a copy you wouldn't mind sharing? I've been reading that book forever but life happens and I can't seem to finish it. I love AB !!
I'd love to give you a copy. It's 1/2 Gig though, so I might have to mail you a SD card. I'll bring you a copy next time I'm there.
I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
Deborah, thanks, but why is your login name Steven?
Post a Comment